Thursday 20 October 2011

Where do you find motivation?

So what does it take to get you motivated? I really envy people who can jump out of a bed and immediately hit the gym or go for a run. I wish I could say I can do the same, but that is not me at all! I am not a morning person. Perhaps, if I did not work at a job 5 days a week that forces me to get out of bed at 4am I would appreciate mornings a bit more. As for right now, mornings and I do not have a good relationship. Instead of fighting this fact, I try to make use of my most energetic times to do the things I wish I could do in the early mornings, such as my runs and workouts.

The problem is, after waking up at 4am, working a 9 hour shift on my feet, my energy and motivation to exercise is pretty much non-existant. So, here comes the question, what does it take to ignore a tired, achy body and mind and do something healthy and beneficial for myself. I can feel that sceaming urge of "EXERCISE ME!" "I NEED TO RUN!" but it is easily covered up by the pleading  "I want to sit down, for just a second..." which always turns into way more than just a second, and then it's dinner time, night time, bed time... There is my situation.

Personally, where I find motivation changes depending on what the day holds. Such as today, it is absolutely horrible outside, freezing, raining, and that makes it very hard to want to go for a run. As for as the gym is concerned, I go not like the gym I go to, yet I am going to head there as soon as I listen to some "pumped up" music. Today, that is what is doing the trick. For one reason or another, there is one particular song right now that whenever I hear it all I want to do is run and jump around. It always does the trick, no matter what kind of mood I am in - Party Rock Anthem - LMFAO. No idea why, but this is it.




Another, perhaps bad source of motivation is my online shopping obsession, particularly with Lululemon. I have been running outside at least 4 days a week, but as the cold weather creeps in I feel like staying inside more often and opting for an indoor workout as opposed to a nice trail run. So... I went to www.lululemon.com and bought myself the perfect pair of outside running tights:

Aren't they just so pretty?
Journals, logs, plans, goals, competition, races are all good sources of motivaiton, but on a day by day basis sometimes I need just the simple things, like a good song or some Lulu.

Or, looking forward to a yummy post-workout or post-run meal :)

Like Cocoa Chia Pudding!

This is a perfect bowl of goodness for after a run, a workout, or just for a healthy delicious snack that leaves you feeling energized and nourished.

Have you heard of chia seeds? Not liek the Cha-Cha-Cha-Cha Chia that grows grass on a clay animal, but the nutrient packed super food that can be used in numerous ways!



A quick load down on this little black seed:
-It absorbes water at a ratio of 9:1, so is a great souce of hydration
-Had 3 times the antioxidants that blueberries contain
-Is jam PACKED with fiber (more so than wheat bran)
-Contains more Omega-3 fatty acids than flax seeds, which we all know are a fantastic source
-15 times more magnesium than broccoli
-3 times more iron than spinach...

Need I go on? These little guys are a powerhouse of goodness!

I will be posting many chia seed recipes, however, this Cocoa Chia Pudding will get you hooked, just give the gel-like texture a chance, if you haven't already, I am positive you will grow to love it!


Cocoa Chia Pudding (Gluten Free, Vegan)

2 Tbsp of chia seeds
1/2 cup of non-dairy milk (I use unsweetened almond milk)
1/2 tablespoon of cocoa powder
1/4 cup of water
1/2 Tbsp of sweetener to taste (I use agave nectar, though stick to sugar-free, natural sweeteners such as stevia, maple syrup, or brown rice syrup)

1. Stir chia seeds, non-dairy milk and water together for 1-2 minutes.
2. Add cocoa (or carob*) powder and sweetener to mixture and stir for another minute.
3. Put in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. It is also safe to leave in over-night for a breakfast treat the next morning.
4. Remove from fridge, stir for another 30 seconds and ENJOY!

Serves 1. You may also heat up in the microwave if you prefer a hot pudding.

*If using carob powder, reduce or omit sweetener as carob powder is naturally sweet :)


No comments:

Post a Comment