Friday 12 August 2011

To-Die-For Vegan GF Blueberry Teff Pancakes

I have had a bag of Teff flour in my cupboard for over a month now. I was waiting for the perfect recipe, and the perfect mood to decide what I would make with it.

It was a beautiful sunny morning :)

After baking all last night (non-gluten free, non-vegan) for my boyfriend, I woke up this morning with the smell of the "Best Oatmeal Raisin Cookies Ever" still lingering in the kitchen. The smell was mouth watering, ok it's my time for a yummy treat!

I have been eating the EXACT same thing for breakfast for over a year now (I know, not good), but it is healthy, stays with me, and make me feel good. I have been afraid to veer to far away from my comfort breakfast, but today was the day.

As I began to research Teff (Tef, Te'ef) I realized how nutritious this teeny, tiny North African grain is. The grain is so small (1 wheat grain = 150 teff grains) that it is impossible to separate the germ and bran, and therefore, is loses none of its fiber or nutrients when processed. With high levels of protein, fiber, calcium, phosphorus, iron, copper, aluminum, barium, and thiamin this grain is a powerhouse of nutrients.

And... it's gluten-free! It gives a wonderful nutty, chocolatey flavor and has a great texture. Its high iron content was also alluring as I try to get my anemia under control.

Now, on to the good stuff, the pancakes!


I found a few recipes, which I am eager to try later, for bread, muffins and porridge using teff flour, but when I stumbled on a few pancake recipes - instant salivation....

After combining a few a came up with this masterpiece, which I will name:

To-Die-For Vegan GF Blueberry Pancakes

Serves 2

1/2 cup Teff Flour
1/8 cup Tapioca Starch
2 Tbsp Ground Flax Seed
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup blueberries

1 Tbsp of oil to cook pancake in (I used olive oil)

Mix all dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl (Teff flour, tapioca startch, flax seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and baking soda).
Once mixed, add vanilla, applesauce and water. I used a fork to stir with and achieved the perfect consistency.

Warm a skillet on medium heat with oil in it. Place approx. 1/4 cup of batter on skillet and level out with the back of a spoon.

Place blueberries onto pancakes. Wait for bubbles to appear and flip pancakes to other side. Cook for another minute of two on this side.



I served mine with a thin layer of almond butter and sliced bananas on top :)

Would also be delicious with pure maple syrup, or I think I might try with pumpkin butter next time!

Apart from this being one of the best breakfasts I have had in a long, long time it was different, and filling without feeling sluggish afterwards. I think I even want to go for a run now :)

Happy Friday Pancake Day!

Em

No comments:

Post a Comment